Re: Support Web Commerce CG

> On Nov 17, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all (bcc: Web Payments CG and Web Payments WG),
>
> We recently (W3C TPAC 2017) made the decision to no longer include the
> Web Payments HTTP API in the Web Payments WG.
>
> With the recent launch of the Web Commerce IG, sending the HTTP API back
> to the Web Payments CG didn't seem to make sense (our scope is
> broadening at W3C). The Web Commerce IG is also not intended to incubate
> technology and specifications (they're more of a steering group). So,
> this raises the question on where the Web Payments HTTP API
> specification should go for further incubation.
>
> I'm proposing that we create a new group to support the mission of the
> Web Commerce IG:
>
> The mission of the Web Commerce Community Group is to support the
> mission of the Web Commerce Interest Group by incubating technologies
> and specifications that may be transitioned to the W3C Standards Track.
>
> If you think this is a good direction, please show your support here:
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/blog/2017/11/17/proposed-group-web-commerce-community-group/

Hi Manu,

As I mentioned on another thread, while I support incubation of work, I do not support the creation
of a new general purpose Community Group to mirror the IG. Instead, I think there are ample fora
for incubating specific work, including these CGs:

 * Automotive
 * Web of Things
 * Digital Offers
 * Web Payments
 * Credentials
 * Web Incubator

At least two of those seem like a better fit than a general purpose CG, namely Web Payments and Web of Things.
Or, if you think a focused CG is in order, then I suggest creating the HTTP Payments CG or something similar.

I don’t think a general Web Commerce IG will add value.

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/