Re: [webauthn] Syncing Platform Keys, Recoverability and Security levels (#1640)

From: Firstyear via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 00:18:02 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
The issue here is that this process is wayyyyy too complex for most people to be able to manage. I couldn't imagine trying to communicate this to my brother who is a carpenter and have him successfully able to create this recovery material, let alone using it to retrieve a key.

For example, "just export the recovery credentials" really glosses over a lot of complexity. Where will a user export it to? How will they preserve that? On a USB stick, which is a lossy medium?

While this whole process is technically very cool, and interesting, I think that it's really overlooking the experience of an everyday user to achieve this reliably.

Please when you come up with a process like this, step back and talk it through with non-technical folk and see if they can follow it. because that's your audience here. If I can't communicate this process to my brother, or my neighbours, then it won't work at scale.

Thanks,

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Firstyear
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1640#issuecomment-1009477718 using your GitHub account