RE: Three possibilities for discussion

Someone else also recently mentioned the third item on Richard’s list – that the pattern for web APIs is to put all optional arguments in a dictionary. I’ve created a issue #84 in Github so we don’t lose track of this one.

From: Alexei Czeskis [mailto:aczeskis@google.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 8:40 PM
To: Vijay Bharadwaj <vijaybh@microsoft.com>
Cc: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@mozilla.com>; Axel Nennker <Axel.Nennker@telekom.de>; W3C WebAuthn WG <public-webauthn@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Three possibilities for discussion

+1 to what Vijay said.  Keeping them separate seems like the right approach to me.

Thanks!
-Alexei

 . Alexei Czeskis .:. Securineer .:. 317.698.4740 .

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Vijay Bharadwaj <vijaybh@microsoft.com<mailto:vijaybh@microsoft.com>> wrote:
We’ve certainly discussed this before as well.

The problem is that makeCredential and getAssertion are conceptually quite different and typically embedded in very different UX flows.

-          makeCredential is used to generate and register a credential with an RP, typically after some out-of-band (often relatively high-friction) proofing such as phone calls, text messages, etc.

-          getAssertion is used to show possession of an already-proofed-and-registered credential, and is typically part of a very streamlined flow.

It also seems to make very little sense to sign an assertion with a credential you just created. At makeCredential time, the new credential is just a key – anyone can create one, and signing with a key you created is no feat. The RP’s problem at that time is to assign trust to that credential using other means. Since those other means must be at least as strong (in a risk-management sense) as the credential they are endorsing, they should also be enough for any purpose that would otherwise accept the results of getAssertion.