RE: draft-hodges-webauthn-registries-00

From: <jeff.hodges@kingsmountain.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 16:02:52 -0600
To: "Mandyam, Giridhar" <mandyam@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: "W3C WebAuthn WG" <public-webauthn@w3.org>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>

> Giri wrote..
>
> Have a broader question -
> should this be done at IETF or can it be done as a W3C-published registry?

I believe it should be done at IANA.org, which happens to require an RFC to
create the registries. This is not a major hurdle.

The registries will not require RFCs to register new values if we create them
following the example of
<https://mnot.github.io/I-D/rfc5988bis/#link-relation-type-registry>.

IANA is dedicated managing/maintaining registries, and is staffed to
accomplish these tasks, thus I feel it is the best solution.

HTH,

=JeffH