From: ... <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 3:40 PM
Subject: [wbs] Nokia Corporation response to 'Call for Review:
Architecture of the World Wide Web, First Edition is W3C Proposed
Recommendation'

Here are the answers submitted to 'Call for Review:  Architecture of the
World Wide Web, First Edition is W3C Proposed Recommendation' (Advisory
Committee) for Nokia Corporation by Arthur Barstow.

The reviewer recommended that "Architecture of the World Wide Web, First
Edition" be returned for further work due to substantial issues.

Additional comments about the specification:

Nokia commends the TAG on its excellent work in producing the document
"Architecture of the World Wide Web" (AWWW) and feel that this
document will provide far reaching substantial benefit to both the
web and semantic web communities.

We find, however, that there are elements contained in the Proposed
Recommendation edition [1] which are unacceptable, as they are seen
as promoting one side of a long standing and hotly debated issue,
httpRange-14 [2], which remains unresolved, and concerning which the
TAG has indicated [3] its own appreciation and desire for a fully
neutral position on this issue with regards to the content of AWWW.

Nokia considers the issue httpRange-14 to have substantial significance
to the future scalability and efficiency of the web, and we are working
to prepare a detailed statement of our concerns and position on this
issue, to be provided as input to the TAG as it works to resolve issue
httpRange-14.

In the meantime, however, we hold the strong view that, until such time
as that issue is officially resolved by the TAG, it is imperative that
that AWWW remain entirely neutral with regards to issue httpRange-14.

The Proposed Recommendation edition of AWWW [1] fails to achieve such
neutrality; and therefore Nokia objects to its advancement.

The following is an explicit summary of content in the Proposed
Recommendation edition [1] which we consider to directly or indirectly
support either side of the httpRange-14 debate and which should, and can,
be revised to achieve full neutrality on this issue without, we believe,
any loss of meaning or utility to AWWW.

Along with each case of offending content, we offer what we feel
is a suitable and necessary replacement.

1. Section 3.5.1 URI persistence, first paragraph

  Current Text:

   "... For an information resource, persistence depends on the
    consistency of representations. ..."

  Replacement Text:

   "... For a resource, persistence depends on the
    consistency of representations. ..."

2. Section 4.4 Hypertext, second paragraph

  Current Text:

   "When one resource (representation) refers to another resource with
    a URI, this constitutes a link between the two resources. ..."

  Replacement Text:

   "When a representation of one resource contains a reference to
    another resource, expressed with a URI identifying that other
    resource, this constitutes a link between the two resources. ..."

3. Section 4.5.3. XML Namespaces, third paragraph

  Current Text:

   "... If namespace URIs that end with a hash ("#") are chosen,
    then simple concatenation of the namespace URI and the local
    name creates a URI for a secondary resource (the identified
    term). This technique is used for many [RDFXML] namespaces."

  Replacement Text:

   "... Simple concatenation of the namespace URI and the local
    name creates a URI for the identified term. This technique is
    used for [RDFXML] namespaces."

If the TAG sees fit to implement the above modifications, then
Nokia offers its full endorsement to the modified document.

Sincerely,

Arthur Barstow
Nokia's AC rep
===