Re: 4.5.1. When to use an XML-based format

From: Yuxiao Zhao <yuxzh@ida.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:38:27 +0100
To: public-webarch-comments@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:

| 2. "Early detection of encoding errors with no requirement to "work
| around" such errors."
|
| More interpretations are necessary.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. Can you clarify?

Yuxiao's anwser: could you give a short example for this use case? I
cannot think out a case immediately.

| 3. Desire for separation of web content and its presentation.-- the
| reason we use XML instead of HTML.

The separation of content and presentation is discussed in detail
in section 4.3.

Yuxiao's comment: I believe 4.5.1 is a summary of good practice of using
XML format. It is sensible to put it here together instead of letting
readers looking back.

Best regards
Yuxiao Zhao
Address: Dept.of Computer and Info. Science
          Linköping University
          S-581 83, Sweden
     Tel: 046-13-284496
   Email: yuxzh@ida.liu.se