Re: [permissions] Defining a testing API

Hi,

TL;DR: we'd love an API for this kind of thing for use with WebDriver, and
I'm on board for trying it out.

Longer version:

We had a discussion about work for Level 2 of the WebDriver spec at our
face-to-face meeting in Lisbon. One of the topics we discussed was an API
for dealing with "door hanger
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/Doorhanger_notifications>"
notifications --- or, in a more general sense, popups that display a
limited set of options, possibly allowing some text input. This would cover
things such as alerts for desktop notifications, allowing geolocation, and
Web Bluetooth, as these are typically presented through the same style of
UI.

Andreas and I sketched out a basic API which was essentially similar to
that presented for user prompts
<https://w3c.github.io/webdriver/webdriver-spec.html#user-prompts>, with
the option of sending additional text and perhaps a button identifier when
accepting the prompt. I'm sure Andreas will correct my recollection if it's
not quite right.

Other than solving the general case, the other option is (as you say) to
use the WebDriver extension mechanisms to add specific and focused APIs for
each spec. If you'd like a member of the group working on WebDriver to
provide some help, I'm sure we'd be able to offer some.

Kind regards,

Simon