Re: Restrict loopback address to Secure Contexts?

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:18 AM, Crispin Cowan <crispin@microsoft.com> wrote:
> On the perfect being the enemy of the good: you are quite right, I am
> describing an idealized world. I thought that’s what Standards are for, and
> we then work towards them? Conversely, it seems like it would be bad to
> standardize on “good enough for now” and then need to change it.

We standardize what ships or we estimate we can ship within a short
amount of time. It's not at all that aspirational as you make it out
to be. E.g., in some idealized world I might have wished there would
be no need to have written https://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/ but the
fact is that there's more than UTF-8 in use. Ignoring that leads to
issues for users and is also anti-competitive to some extent as it
hinders new browsers from entering the market.

> Edge can’t do an effective job of CORS Preflight right now due to
> architectural issues which we hope to address in the future. Meanwhile we
> keep Edge users safe from loopback attack with a different mitigation that
> is not worthy of floating as a standard.

Why not? If it works and is deployed today...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/