Re: On the Insecurity of Whitelists and the Future of CSP

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Artur Janc <aaj@google.com> wrote:
> > An attacker with an XSS can set any cookie they want to make the
> exfiltrated
> > data visible across the whole top-level domain, so they're not bound by
> > flags on any existing cookies.
>
> That depends on whether or not we offer ways to restrict cookie APIs.
> (I think there's a proposal for that somewhere.)
>

> > I'm not saying that preventing exfiltration is a priori bad or
> impossible.
> > However, it's something that we're nowhere near solving, and even if it's
> > solved it will not make cross-site scripting much less of a concern for
> most
> > applications. Compare this to the goal of preventing malicious script
> > execution in the first place, which we're close to achieving with nonces
> +
> > trust propagation with 'strict-dynamic' (at least for most classes of XSS
> > that we currently see).
> >
> > If we can improve the situation there (e.g. give developers more powerful
> > features to execute trusted scripts while disallowing injected ones) then
> > we're simultaneously solving the exfiltration issue because an attacker
> > without script execution cannot easily extract the data from the DOM in
> the
> > first place. And on top of it, we're addressing the other current risks
> of
> > XSS, such as persistent access to the compromised origin, and so on. I
> think
> > it's a powerful signal that we should be focusing efforts on that area.

That's what I meant earlier. If we can provide better ways of stopping
unwanted script from executing, then the exfiltration is less of an issue.
I think the strict-dynamic approach can provide better security in that
sense. Still, the syntax issue needs to be discussed. As in our precious
email discussion, I think TPAC is probably a good venue, where all the
people interested are sitting on one table.