Re: Proposal to add a browsing context named "_private"

From: Utkarsh Upadhyay <musically.ut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:38:14 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Crispin Cowan <crispin@microsoft.com>, Joel Weinberger <jww@chromium.org>, "timeless@gmail.com" <timeless@gmail.com>, Patrick Toomey <patrick.toomey@github.com>, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@mozilla.com>, WebAppSec WG <public-webappsec@w3.org>
> I know! How about letting the user specify that a bookmark should be
opened in-private? … oh, right :P

I understand that the comment was made to show that target="_private" will
not solve all problems associated with opening links in private mode, but
this set me thinking in another direction.
As Crispin's comment points out, bookmarking is also a feature common to
all browsers and which is, AFAIK, not standardized (notwithstanding the
link type="bookmark", which doesn't address this feature of browsers
explicitly).
I don't see any immediate benefit of standardizing it and I actually
wouldn't support it without some very very good reasons.

However, the more I think about it, private mode browsing is the kind of
feature which would really benefit from standardization: it would make the
developers know what to expect and would make sure that users get the
similar sort of guarantees across all conforming browsers.
In that spirit, I think a new named browsing context is a good way to
introduce such a standardization and a way of opening it up to web
developers.

~
ut