Re: [mixed-content] DASH Players and Mixed Content

I want to clarify that the proposal ([1] along with updates such as [2]) is
intended only as a temporary solution, a potential bridge, until CDN
traffic can be moved to TLS. It would bring MSE-based streams to parity
with .src= streams. (Note: This is only relevant as long as user agents
continue to allow mixed video and audio loaded via <video> and <audio>,
which are two of the few categories of content that are
optionally-blockable [3].) In-band data should not be exposed from Mixed
Content streams today (in the .src= case), and this proposal would not
change that. As Anne notes [4], exposing such contents would make the
existing hole bigger.

Regardless of whether Mixed Content MSE streams are enabled (i.e. [1]),
accessing BMFF boxes or in-band data requires an unmixed scenario - either
a) an insecure page or b) using secure channels for all content. (a) is
going to become increasingly restricted as more new and existing APIs
require secure contexts [5][6][7]. For example, support for insecure
contexts is already deprecated in EME [8][9]. In addition, there is a
movement towards changing the UX for insecure pages (e.g. [10]).

I urge content providers that *would* use Mixed Content MSE with opaque
streams (with the discussed limitations), to speak up here and in the MSE
spec issue [11]. There was no such interest expressed by content providers
when the proposal was made, leading to questions about whether it was worth
pursuing, and now the MSE editors are debating whether to punt Mixed
Content support to a future MSE version [11], which would likely be too
late to be useful. Therefore, such input is important if you would like to
see the proposal standardized and implemented. Now is also a good time to
start planning for use of secure channels for all content, which is the
real long-term solution.

It's not very desirable to push all video over SSL (as it breaks in network
> caching commonly deployed by Telco's/ISP's)...

This is actually an advantage of using TLS for some content providers for
whom such caching is undesirable.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2015Feb/0371.html
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Apr/0013.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/mixed-content/#category-optionally-blockable