Re: Permissions API vs local APIs

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 14:54:43 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, WebAppSec WG <public-webappsec@w3.org>
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> Over in https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2015May/0006.html
> Jonas pointed out that having two APIs for doing the same thing is
> "nuts". We should probably decide whether we go ahead with the
> Permissions API or keep doing permission checks on a per-API basis.

I personally think having a single API, rather than half a dozen
navigator.*.hasPermission() APIs is better. If for no other reason
than that's it's likely going to be significantly easier to keep a
single API consistent, than the half-dozen different ones.

I'll also note that the reception on twitter from developers for the
permission API seemed quite positive.

/ Jonas