Re: Suggestion for code exposure security

Hello,

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm not quite sure it would ever work the
way you describe. I think it would create more problems for developers than
actually protect anything. :-/

My experience is that the most important and sensitive code lives on the
server (as it should) and never touches the client. Other than that, it's
pretty common to obfuscate the JS code, e.g. by minifying it. In any case,
as it holds for encryption, security should never be in danger from one's
ability to read the source code.

So how would, for example, CURL work if it reached your website? Would one
be able to read your code?
My point is: you would have to do these hash checks on the server-side, and
the hashes would be well-known so an attacker could just inject the hash
while doing the CURL in the first place...

Btw, you would constantly need to update your list of hashes because you
start of by white-listing, so your service would be inaccessible to some
clients if you miss out on any relevant signatures... This is also hard to
test, unless you have a nice farm of browsers in your test infrastructure.
Sounds expensive to me... :-/

Did you have a chance to read about subresource integrity [1]?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SRI/

--

*Kristijan Burnik*

Software Engineering Intern

burnik@google.com

Google Germany GmbH

Dienerstraße 12

80331 München

Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg