Re: CfC: Mixed Content to PR; deadline July 6th.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. I've dropped the "at risk" note for "deprecated TLS-protection":
>> https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/commit/5dd23ba69ecd39a45eceff86533dfb91f0ab645c
>> (CCing Brian, who I believe was interested in the opposite, and Ryan, who
>> might or might not have implemented the SHA-1 bits for Chrome).
>>

> I don't have any problem with the idea of specifying/recommending
> particular behavior for "deprecated TLS-protection." I think whether or not
> it should remain in the spec, at this point, depends on whether at least
> two independent implementations of it currently exist.

I missed this response, sorry!

I think it's important that the spec leave us the flexibility of doing
mixed content checks based upon data that we can only know after connecting
to a server and poking at a handshake. It's certainly the case that we have
concrete plans (and, I think, implementation (Ryan?)) to do this in Chrome.
I'd prefer to leave the concept in the spec for that reason.

Another option that I could live with would be to drop the concept from the
spec explicitly, and to simply rely on Fetch's "HTTPS State
<https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-response-https-state>" in
https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/#should-block-response.
This has the practical effect of making it possible for Chrome to continue
our SHA-1 deprecation plans, simply deferring the conversation around
"deprecation" from MIX to Fetch. I'm not sure that's an improvement. WDYT,
Brian and Anne?

-mike