Re: [CSP] Relative/absolute hostname matching

From: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:34:19 +0100
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org> wrote:

> Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> > I think this boils down to the question of whether `
> https://example.com/` is
> > the same origin as `https://example.com./`. It's not clear to me whether
> > that's the case. Chrome, at least, has separate storage areas for the two
> > hosts. I'm tempted to say that that's a good result, but I don't have a
> feel
> > for the implications.
>
> It seems Gecko also treats them as separate origins. So, I guess the
> currently-specified behavior may be OK. However, note that there are
> negative consequences to this, for example HSTS bypass [1].
>
> Regardless of which way is considered correct, I think it would be
> useful to clarify this (e.g. with a non-normative example) because I
> can see people getting it wrong either way.

Based on the discussion here, I've added a note to the document:
https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/commit/682b69cf4d73e47b155a2ddd778d4ed7fe0f04ae

Thanks for raising this, Brian. Sorry it took so long for me to do anything
about it.

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)