Re: HSTS, mixed content, and priming

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 2:24 AM, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org> wrote:
>> Why not send a GET request to https://example.com/foo/bar.js as though it
>> was already upgraded via HSTS, and then use the response if the response
>> includes an HSTS header? This would save one request/response and would
>> avoid the practical problems with using HEAD. (Although servers are supposed
>> to return the same headers for HEAD requests that they return for GET
>> requests, in practice many do not.)
>
> I think the worry here is leakage -- if the HTTPS site is actually
> different, then you're leaking request context in the GET.

So given a site A that accesses a site B that has an HTTPS site on the
same domain B'. The worry is that we're leaking to B' that the user is
visiting A, while only B (and all network attackers which we assume B'
is not part of) should know that?

Given that deprecating HTTP is a thing I think that should be acceptable.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/