From: Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com<mailto:dev.akhawe@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, November 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM
To: Bradley Hill <hillbrad@fb.com<mailto:hillbrad@fb.com>>
Cc: Jochen Eisinger <eisinger@google.com<mailto:eisinger@google.com>>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl<mailto:annevk@annevk.nl>>, Mike West <mkwst@google.com<mailto:mkwst@google.com>>, "public-webappsec@w3.org<mailto:public-webappsec@w3.org>" <public-webappsec@w3.org<mailto:public-webappsec@w3.org>>, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org<mailto:brian@briansmith.org>>
Subject: Re: Early morning thoughts on referrers.

forgive me, but I thought, on the call, there was agreement that the basic "use this same-origin URI as referer" is ok for the declarative mechanism?

cheers
Dev

On 17 November 2014 20:23, Brad Hill <hillbrad@fb.com<mailto:hillbrad@fb.com>> wrote:
Yes, we discussed this on the call.  Takeaways were:

  1.  The current behavior is what is already implemented in Webkit browsers.
  2.  We should only complicate a declarative policy mechanism so much.
  3.  ServiceWorkers seem like they might be a good fit for doing fine-grained control of referrer headers in an imperative manner.

Therefore, the group was inclined to leave the spec more or less as-is, at least for declarative purposes and CSP, and continue exploration of a more fully featured API for ServiceWorkers and Fetch.

Can everybody live with that?

-Brad