Re: [SRI] Escaping mixed-content blocking for video distribution

All,

Are there any further thoughts on this ? Again, a solution here offers the
prospect of making it much easier / quicker for video distribution sites to
migrate to secure origins, with the associated user benefits.

The proposal, such as it is, is to add a request integrity mechanism to the
existing SRI mechanism (see below for a video-specific version of SRI). A
new Request-Integrity HTTP header would be included in HTTP response giving
an HMAC of the entire request as received by the server. The key used for
this HMAC would be provided to the UA in the same way as the hash used for
SRI. It would be a matter for the site to arrange for this key to be shared
between client and server. The UA would verify this HMAC as well as the
resource hash. If both pass, the resource is allowed as mixed content. If
not, the resource is requested over HTTPS instead.

Request integrity is likely broken by many middleboxes which modify HTTP
headers. In these cases we use HTTPS instead. Nevertheless, the fraction of
video traffic that needed to use HTTPS would likely be small (and would
diminish, since the middleboxes in this case would be serving no useful
purpose whatsoever.)

There is likely an additional step needed in the request integrity
mechanism to make it secure. If the UA was involved in choosing the key,
the UA could ensure that random keys are used, rather than a fixed key for
a given site, for example. I'm not proposing a finished design, but I think
the details could be worked out.

Regarding a video-specific alternative to SRI as suggested by AGL: The
existing SRI, when used with XHR, means that media data it not available
for playback until the request is complete. Also, the mechanism applies to
all data, not just audio/video data. A mechanism restricted to audio/video
would be sufficient to achieve the goals here and would reduce the attack
surface somewhat (just as audio/video fetched directly by the video element
sometimes escapes mixed-content blocking).

The idea would be to allow XHR to HTTP resources, but only for the Stream
return type and then returning a special kind of Stream which works only
with the Media Source Extension. Furthermore, the Media Source Extension
would expect such a Stream to contain embedded integrity data and for the
page to provide block-by-block integrity information. Specifically, for
mp4, we would provide a new data structure in the Movie Fragment header
giving hashes of the movie data (this kind of thing has been discussed a
few times in the past). The page would be expected to provide the hash of
this new data structure for each Movie Fragment.

I think the generic mechanism is sufficient and much simpler, but the
video-specific option restricts the attack surface. However the idea of a
"special kind" of Stream object is a little clunky.

>From a complexity / standardization perspective I can see the attraction of
simply saying that people should use HTTPS, but that is likely going to
take much longer in practice. In the meantime, the absence of a
mixed-content solution for video distribution means there will continue to
be pressure to keep various APIs desired by those sites open to insecure
origins.

...Mark