Re: Couple comments on Subresource Integrity

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 21:21:04 +0100
To: Trevor Perrin <trevp@trevp.net>
Cc: Brad Hill <hillbrad@gmail.com>, Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
* Trevor Perrin wrote:
>Bjoern wrote:
>> Tight coupling has a number of downsides; an example is that implemen-
>> tations can detect the presence of integrity information even when the
>> document uses an unrecognised algorithm.
>
>Hi Bjoern,
>
>I didn't see where the spec handles an unrecognized hash algo
>different from absent integrity info?

The point of the example is that an implementation would need to know
which attributes carry integrity information, which is simple with an
`integrity` attribute and impossible with your scheme; there is no need
for the specification to demand any specific behavior; as an example, a
browser vendor might decide never to make the address bar "green" when
there is integrity information the browser cannot verify (because the
scheme is unknown); there is no need to codify that in the standard.