Re: Standardize referrer policy

From: John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:42:22 -0400
To: Jochen Eisinger <eisinger@google.com>
CC: public-webappsec@w3.org, Sid Stamm <sid@mozilla.com>, Adam Barth <abarth@google.com>, Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
On 06/11/2014 02:31 PM, Jochen Eisinger wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net
> <mailto:john@jkemp.net>> wrote:

[...]

>     How does this draft relate to the 'rel=noreferrer' attribute on <a/>
>     tags? I see you refer to the "Javascript Global Environment" and one
>     can imagine that this environment *might* impact how the
>     rel=noreferrer is processed in the same way you describe via
>     inheritance from the "global" environment, but it might be helpful
>     to spell that out (and mention it in the introduction too).
>

> that's covered in step 6 of the "Set request’s Referer header"
> algorithm, no?

OK, yes, that looks good, presuming that you are only addressing
Javascript, and that the issue you mention is addressed.

There were two specific things I was interested in:

* That the rel=noreferrer is not mentioned in the introduction, so it is
not clear there is any link  between this document and that particular
usage.
* That this appears to be all related only to the Javascript
environment, and yet it is an interaction between two HTML declarations.
It is, I believe, still possible to parse (and interpret) HTML without
using Javascript - but I presume this is considered beyond the scope of
this document?

>     This issue is mentioned in
>     http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/__Meta_referrer
>     <http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Meta_referrer>, which appears to be a
>     good (historical at least) related work for what you are doing here
>     (and you might want to list it in the references since it appears to
>     have some of the same content as this draft).
>

> It's linked to in paragraph 7

Also list it under "informative references"?

Regards,

- johnk