Re: [REFERRER] Where does "Determine request¢s Referrer" get its URL from?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > Why does Fetch use one as the "client"?
>
> It's something that logically encompasses the different places we have
> today from where a fetch can originate (and it's the term service
> workers use for them).

An element can generate a fetch with no JS involved at all. So can a
navigation. Both of those are likely to happen before any fetch that
involves JS execution.

> I don't believe in a non-JS future

We have a non-JS present. JS is optional in browsers. Some don't have it
at all. We will certainly have a non-JS future, given the work being done
by multiple browser vendors to provide near-machine-code solutions (for
example, PNaCl and asm.js).

> but I would be happy with some abstract term that effectively means the
> same thing. Document does not really work for workers.

It's hard for me to work out exactly what we're trying to do with
"client". It's used for the referrer; anything else?