Re: CORS and CSRF protection

Hi there. Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I'm having trouble
understanding how Double Submit Cookies would work with CORS. Imagine I
have an HTML page at http://client.example.com that makes a CORS POST
request to http://api.example.com. Double Submit Cookies relies on a cookie
and a request parameter having the same value. However, in the case of
CORS, the request originates from http://client.example.com, but the cookie
will be from http://api.example.com.  There is no way for client.example.com
to read api.example.com's cookie and included it in the request. Therefore,
api.example.com needs some mechanism to give client.example.com the value
of the CSRF token.

One way to do this is after logging in to api.example.com, set a random
number in a cookie (separate from the session cookie), and then redirect
the user to a page on client.example.com with the random number in the
query string (for example, client.example.com/signin?csrf_token=12345). The
client would then set its own cookie with the csrf token value. On requests
that require CSRF protection, the client would do the following:

   1. Grab the csrf token from the client's cookie and include its value in
   the query string (or the POST body)
   2. Make the XHR request with withCredentials set to true, so that the
   csrf token from the api server is also included in the request
   3. The server compares the csrf value in the client's query parameter to
   the value in the server's cookie.

However, I am not a security expert, so I have no idea if this is
reasonable. Is there anyone who can help with this?

Thanks,
Monsur

   -