Re: [blink-dev] Re: Proposal: Marking HTTP As Non-Secure

On 12/18/2014 04:07 AM, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
> There is a certificate error. The point is that since it is expected behaviour,
> I get trained to say "yeah, whatever" so I can pay for the connection I need.
> Despite the fact that it is very difficult to be *sure* that the error is not
> actually a real problem.
> I'd love to see a better situation relying on a proper standard.
> But in general I don't.

This is the closest thing to a standard for dealing with this situation
that i know of:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dhc-capport

Until this mechanism is deployed, when you believe that you will be on
such a network, and you are willing to expose yourself to their
middlebox devices, you should *not* accept the bogus cert.  Accepting
the bogus cert potentially means sending the middlebox the cookies that
you would have sent to the desired origin, which is a Bad Thing.

Instead, you should open a new browser window and point it at
http://www.example.org/, which does not use https, and so can be
rewritten/hijacked by the captive portal situation however they like.

This is a clunky mess, of course, but that's the nature of captive portals.

 --dkg