Re: Proposal: Marking HTTP As Non-Secure

On 16 December 2014 at 01:18, Ryan Sleevi <rsleevi@chromium.org> wrote:

> "Authentication" here does not refer to "Does the user authenticate
> themselves to the site" (e.g. do they log in), but "Is the site you're
> talking to the site you the site you expected" (or, put differently, "Does
> the server authenticate itself to the user").

With protocols like SRP or J-PAKE authentication in the first sense (log
in) also provides authentication in the second sense (protocols ensures
mutual authentication between the user and the server without leaking
passwords). I wish there would be at least some support in the browsers for
these protocols so one could avoid certificates and related problems in
many useful cases.