Re: [POWER] New vs Legacy functionality (Re: "Requirements for Powerful Features" strawman.)

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> ​I think there should be explicit consideration for the case where a new
> feature is widely seen as a replacement for an old. perhaps different,
> feature. Especially where there is a desire to remove the old feature
> altogether. The existing users of such a legacy feature should be factored
> into this discussion in just the same way as the existing users of features
> which match the geo-location example.

What would you like the spec to say about these kinds of features?

My initial feeling is that there's no relevant difference between a new
feature introduced because it's independently awesome, and a new feature
which is introduced in order to replace an old feature.

> I'm still not sure the reference to EME is Section 3, item 4, is correct.
> If the intention in that bullet is to capture anything that could expose
> temporary identifiers then it would be clearer if you included Web Storage
> / IndexedDB as well. If the intention is specifically to capture things
> which expose identifiers that cannot easily be cleared by the user, then
> EME is not an example since it is now *normatively* required that
> identifiers exposed by EME *can* be easily cleared by the user.

I think the terms I chose there are misleading: to be clear, I see three
categories of identifiers that should be discussed:

* EME (and cookies, and IDB, and etc) expose an identification mechanism
that sticks around until the user takes explicit action to remove the
identifier.

* Session storage clears itself within some reasonable period, and without
explicit user action (in theory).

* Device-level identifiers are not clearable.

I'll attempt to clarify the intent.

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Google+: https://mkw.st/+, Twitter: @mikewest, Cell: +49 162 10 255 91

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)