Re: [filter-effects][css-masking] Move security model for resources to CSP

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe CSS and SVG should specify exactly that: No load of any external
>> resources of an SVG file loaded as image. Exclusions of the restrictions
>> can be specified later after more investigations.
>>

> If we do that, we prevent unification of "SVG image loads" and "SVG
> external resource document loads". Which is a desirable thing, to enable
> unifying "-webkit-mask" and SVG "mask" without hacks that make the load
> type dependent on a guess of whether you're referring to an SVG mask or an
> SVG image.
>
> My latest thought on this is that maybe we should just change SVG external
> resource document loads to work like SVG image loads --- those external
> documents get no access to external resources of their own. On the face of
> it, this is a pretty bad compatibility break, but maybe it's OK since
> Webkit/Blink don't support SVG external resource document loads at all!

Note that if we do this, we'll need to continue to apply an origin check
when filter/mask/clip/use/pattern etc refer to an element in an external
document, at the time they use the element. Anne, can we make regular image
loads record presence of an Access-Control-Allow-Origin header if the
server sends one, without causing the load to fail if it happens to be
cross-origin with no header?

Even if the spec allows it, that's going to be a pain to implement for us
since there's currently no notion of delaying CORS-enabled origin checks in
our code.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq