Re: Hashes/Nonce Source and unsafe-inline

From: Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:34:02 -0800
To: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
Cc: Dan Veditz <dveditz@mozilla.com>
Hi

[creating a separate thread since there were other discussions ongoing
in the other]

> 2. 'unsafe-inline' is disabled if either a hash or nonce is present.
>      [3] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/content-security-policy/rev/8db37e53da82

Imagine a website that wants to control what external scripts are
loaded. The website uses inline  event handlers too. The hosts for
external scripts can be dynamic (e.g., it is on a CDN) and thus it
uses nonces to load them at runtime. In the new design, all the event
handlers would stop working. I am not sure this is what we want.

Thanks
Dev