Re: Planning for TPAC

Hi Olli,

04.04.2017, 19:12, "Olli Pettay" <olli@pettay.fi>:
> Hi Léonie, all
>
> given that TPAC will be hold in a country with hostile-to-humankind government, I sure some people will
> skip physical attendance @TPAC this time.

Actually people do that every time, but yes I anticipate it being an annoying challenge.

> So, it might be good to ensure particularly good ways to attend meetings remotely.
> Usually attending meetings remotely has been challenging, but perhaps there is something to do there? Video conference maybe?
> (not sure which system is reliable enough. Google Hangouts tends to not work, Vidyo is quite ok, but might not be free, Skype is rather good but
> doesn't it limit the number of participants...)

I will look into this. I don't anticipate carrying a 40" screen in my luggage, but I imagine that the price of hiring one from the hotel is about an order of magnitude more than the purchase price with delivery.

A possible alternative would be to get a small projector that does fit in my luggage, maybe a webcam, and dedicate a laptop to webex, which does have video. Less than ideal, but then, so are the conditions in the room as a rule…

I imagine the most important piece of equipment - apart from a scribe who takes careful notes - would be a few microphones that people use. Maybe we'll have the sound desk setup that we have sometimes had.

In any event, we'll do our best to ensure we have a half-reasonable system, wifi permittin' and the crick don' rise.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathie Nevile - standards - Yandex