Re: [WebIDL] T[] migration

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:55:57 +0100
To: "Domenic Denicola" <d@domenic.me>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Olli Pettay" <olli@pettay.fi>
Cc: "Travis Leithead" <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 18:04:27 +0100, Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi> wrote:

> On 12/18/2015 06:20 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
>> From: Simon Pieters [mailto:simonp@opera.com]
>>
>>> Note that it requires liveness. Does that work for a frozen array?
>>
>> Frozen array instances are frozen and cannot change. However, you can
>> have the property that returns them start returning a new frozen array.
>> The spec needs to track when these new instances are created.
>>
> Changing the array object wouldn't be backwards compatible.
> (The attribute used to be DOMStringList)
>
>>> Maybe this particular API should be a method instead that returns a
>>> sequence<DOMString>?
> Also not backwards compatible.
>
> But I'd assume the first option (changing the array) would be less
> backwards incompatible, so I'd prefer that one.

OK, but... Document#styleSheetSets is not widely implemented, and appears
to not be widely used. On github I see 80 code matches in javascript,
where most are just listing stuff, some are browser sniffing, and some
might be actual usage (maybe with a fallback for other browsers?).
Although it has been implemented in Gecko for a long time, I think it is
possible to make incompatible changes (or maybe drop altogether).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software