Re: [Shadow] Q: Removable shadows (and an idea for lightweight shadows)?

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 13:38:35 -0700
Cc: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>, Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>, "Dimitri Glazkov (dglazkov@google.com)" <dglazkov@google.com>, Arron Eicholz <arronei@microsoft.com>, "Anne van Kesteren (annevk@annevk.nl)" <annevk@annevk.nl>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 1:23 PM, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> You make a series of excellent points.
>
> In the sense that you have a new set of nodes to manage holistically, then having some sort of “document” container does makes sense for that (a ShadowRoot) in order to place all your search/navigation APIs.
>
> You got me thinking though—getElementById is currently not available on ShadowRoot right? Does that API in the host’s document find IDs in the shadow? I presume not given the guidelines you mentioned. I wonder what other APIs from Document are desired?

I thought getElementById existed in ShadowRoot at some point but the latest Blink code doesn't have it.  It looks like Blink has querySelector/querySelectorAll via ParentNode:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/blink/+/master/Source/core/dom/shadow/ShadowRoot.idl <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/blink/+/master/Source/core/dom/shadow/ShadowRoot.idl>
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/blink/+/master/Source/core/dom/ParentNode.idl

- R. Niwa