Re: [Shadow] URL-based shadows?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:20:01 +0100
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Cc: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, "Dimitri Glazkov (dglazkov@google.com)" <dglazkov@google.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Arron Eicholz <arronei@microsoft.com>
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2013OctDec/0418.html

So one flaw with this approach is that a cross-origin custom element
would have no visible API surface. That part is very much unlike what
<input> et al offer today. I remember at one point having the idea
that we could make attributes and methods instantiated in some
declarative manner and that when they are invoked they would use a
behind-the-scenes postMessage()-based protocol instead. But that would
require some kind of block-on-other-global semantics.

Or in other words, you can communicate with a component through
postMessage(), and getter/setter/methods would be sugar for that to
make it look a bit more normal on the outside.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/