IETF seeking feedback on proposed "Token Binding" Working Group

[ public-webapps should have been included but was not ]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:  IETF seeking feedback on proposed "Token Binding" Working Group
Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2015 07:00:35 -0500
From:  Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
CC:  Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>

[ Bcc: WebApps, WebAppSec, Web Security IG; Reply-to: unbearable @
ietf.org ]

Hi All,

Below is an e-mail from Stephen Farrell regarding a proposed "Token
Binding" Working Group at the IETF. Stephen is interested in feedback
regarding the proposed group:

* Home: <https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/tokbind/charter/>
* Draft spec:
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-balfanz-https-token-binding>
* List archive:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/unbearable/current/maillist.html>

The Draft charter includes:

[[
Web services generate various security tokens (e.g. HTTP cookies, OAuth
tokens, etc.) for web applications to access protected resources.
Currently these are bearer tokens, i.e. any party in possession of such
token gains access to the protected resource. Attackers export bearer
tokens from client machines or from compromised network connections,
present these bearer tokens to Web services, and impersonate
authenticated users. Token Binding enables defense against such attacks
by cryptographically binding security tokens to a secret held by the client.

The tasks of this working group are as follows:

1. Specify the Token Binding protocol v1.0.
2. Specify the use of the Token Binding protocol in combination with HTTPS.

]]

WebAppSec, Web Security IG - this is mainly an FYI for you.

WebApps - please note the draft spec includes a new XHR property
"withRefererTokenBindingID"
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-balfanz-https-token-binding-00#section-3.4>.

If anyone has feedback about the proposal, please send it to the
unbearable @ ietf.org list. However, comments related to the XHR aspect
should be Cc/Bcc to public-webapps.

-Thanks, AB