Re: do not deprecate synchronous XMLHttpRequest

I've recently started using something called an atom in ClojureScript and it is described as a mutable reference to an immutable value. It holds the state for the app and can be "safely mutated" by multiple components, and has an interesting thing called a cursor. It is lock free but synchronous. I think I understand it to some degree.

I don't understand the implementation of the DOM but why couldn't we have a representation of it that acted like the atom in clojure and then write the diff to the actual DOM. Is that what React does with I virtual DOM? No idea but I wasn't dropping words, I was describing what was explained to me about the atom in clojure and I saw parallels and possibility of something similar in JS to manage the DOM.

With all the brains in this place are you telling me flat out that it is impossible to have a version of the DOM (call it virtual or atomic DOM) that could be manipulated from web workers?

Also I was mentioning immutable and transient types because they are so necessary to performant functional programming, as I understand it.

Again the clojure atom is lock free and synchronous and is mutable and thread safe. Why couldn't something like that act as a layer to hold DOM state. Maybe that's how React's virtual DOM works? I don't know but I find the idea behind the atom very intriguing and not sure why it wouldn't be applicable to making the DOM thread safe. What do the biggest brains in the room think? That's all. A discussion. If people leave the list because of it then that's their right but it is a human right to speak ones mind as long as the speech is not demeaning or otherwise hurtful.

I really don't understand the arrogance here.

Sent from my iPhone