Re: do not deprecate synchronous XMLHttpRequest

From: George Calvert <george.calvert@loudthink.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 14:33:36 -0500
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
I third Michaela and Gregg.

It is the app and site developers' job to decide whether the user should wait on the server - not the standard's and, 99.9% of the time, not the browser's either.

I agree a well-designed site avoids synchronous calls.  BUT - there still are plenty of real-world cases where the best choice is having the user wait: Like when subsequent options depend on the server's reply.  Or more nuanced, app/content-specific cases where rewinding after an earlier transaction fails is detrimental to the overall UX or simply impractical to code.

Let's focus our energies elsewhere - dispensing with browser warnings that tell me what I already know and with deprecating features that are well-entrenched and, on occasion, incredibly useful.

Thanks,
George Calvert