Re: do not deprecate synchronous XMLHttpRequest

From: Michaela Merz <michaela.merz@hermetos.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 12:59:25 -0600
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
CC: "public-webapps@w3.org >> public-webapps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

I ain't got a problem with synchronous calls. Its just that I had the
need to rant because the rift between you guys and simple developer
folks is getting deeper every day. If somebody fucks up his web site
because he doesn't get the differences between asynchronous and
synchronous calls, that's his prerogative.

<mailto:michaela.merz@hermetos.com>> wrote:
>     it would be the job of the browser development community to find a
way to make such calls less harmful.
> If there was a way to make synchronous calls less harmful, it'd have
been implemented a long time ago. There isn't.
> You could service synchronous semantics with co-routine based
schedulers. It wouldn't block the main thread, but there'd still be
nothing going on while your single-threaded code waits for the XHR to
complete, and so it's still bad UX. Solving the bad UX would require you
to deal with the scheduler (spawn microthreads that do other things so
it's not bad UX). Regardless, ES-discuss isn't fond of co-routines, so
that's not gonna happen.