Re: Are web components *seriously* not namespaced?

Tab,

I spend the vast majority of my time anymore in RDF-land, where namespaces
actually make sense (I'm not going to argue on the XML use of namespaces -
they are, agreed, ugly and complex). I know that when I've been at Balisage
or any of the W3 confabs, the issue of namespaces ex-XML has been hotly
debated, and many, many potential solutions proposed. Regardless, I do
think that there is a very real need for namespaces in the general sense,
if only as a way of being able to assert conceptual domain scope and to
avoid collisions (<div> is the prototypical example here).

Now, I'd like to see clark notation more heavily used, both on the XML and
HTML side - <{http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#}string> is ugly but
unambiguous. CURIE notation works so long as you assume that context
changes within a scoped entry, and that a curied name, whether <ms:foo> or
<ms-foo> must always be closed - ie,

would change internal scope, such as on <term>, to the innermost declared
ancestor (ms:glossary). This is actually very consistent behavior for web
content in particular, and one area I think XML got wrong.

Re: formation of IRIs - I normally declare namespaces for RDF using non URL
notation such as "urn:uuid:12334592125" or something similar, avoiding
http: protocols, precisely for the confusion from neophytes working with
namespaces.  Java classes use similar namespace notation:
"com.oracle.java.Foo" in establishing namespacing into their framework. The
problem that I see with the 90% argument is that everyone's remaining 10%
is different, and those are the cases where namespacing - as a context
establishing mechanism becomes useful.

Kurt Cagle
Principle Evangelist, Semantic Technologies
Avalon Consulting, LLC
kurt.cagle@gmail.com, personal
caglek@avalonconsult.com, business
443-837-8725