Re: Allow custom headers (Websocket API)

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> It seems to me that "pre-flight" requests would happen prior to opening
>> a Websocket connection, i.e. before requirements of the Websocket proto-
>> col apply, so this would have to be covered by the API specification in-
>> stead. I do not really see why the Websocket on-the-wire protocol would
>> have to be changed here.
>
>Wouldn't that require the endpoint to support two protocols? That
>sounds suboptimal.

A Websocket connection is established by making a HTTP Upgrade request,
and the protocol is HTTP unless and until the connection is upgraded.
Websocket endpoints already have to be robust against XHR pre-flight
requests and other HTTP requests and "custom headers" would be an opt-
in feature anyway, so it's not obvious that there would be any problem.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/