Re: Minimum viable custom elements

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 17:05:02 +0000
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Cc: Chris Bateman <chrisb808@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 4 February 2015 at 16:51, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:

> <my-custom-formatter><input></my-custom-formatter>

I think if this worked. i.e. hid the styling and allowed styling over top,
while allowing access to the input functionality would be a good solution
for the many many instances of native controls being remade as custom
controls simply to be able to control style.

I made a simple example of using <canvas> to host a checkbox, as an
experiment:
http://codepen.io/stevef/pen/OPxvZX

note: am not saying <canvas> is a solution, like is= it provides the
ability to make use of built in features of native controls. which is the
outcome I would like to see baked into web components.
--

Regards

SteveF