Re: Minimum viable custom elements

Assuming a situation where a native element – with custom functionality –
is dynamically injected into the page, the basic options I can think of are:

 - <input is="my-custom-formatter">
 - <input class="my-custom-formatter"> and a page-level listener
 - <input class="my-custom-formatter"> and call a function after it's
injected

Option 3 is really cumbersome, in my opinion. Option 2 could work, except
for A. when I want to execute some functionality right away, and B. when
the native element won't be sending events to hook onto.

An better example of both A and B (than my previous hypothetical) might be
GitHub's <time is="relative-time"> extension:
https://github.com/github/time-elements/.

I'm not certain having two different mechanisms, namely "type" and "is"
> attributes, to specify the type of an input an element expects is a
> desirable approach.

<input type="text" is="my-custom-formatter">

I certainly can't speak to your perspective on this, and you may be right.
An input's probably not be the best example for making is="" look good.
Regardless, I have to trust that devs are smart enough to figure out what's
going on here, and set it up properly.

Chris