Re: Shadow tree style isolation primitive

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 16:23:10 -0800
Cc: Chaals from Yandex <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 4:16 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Sure, here are some use cases I can think off the top of my head:
> Styling a navigation bar which is implemented as a list of hyperlinks
> Styling an article in a blog
> Styling the comment section in a blog article
> Styling a code snippet in a blog article
> None of these scenarios require authors to write scripts.
>
> - R. Niwa
>

> I'm sorry, this might be dense but as use cases go those seem incomplete.... I believe you intend to illustrate something here, but I'm not getting it... Is the idea that the nav bar wants to deliver "this is how I am styled" without interference from the page, potentially through some assembly on the server or preprocess or something?   Or it is just like "this is actually really hard to manage" with CSS and here's potentially a way to make it 'scope' easier?

It's both that the navigation bar wants to have its own set of CSS rules and doesn't want to get affected by other CSS rules; and it's hard to manage a large number of CSS rules manually without an encapsulation mechanism like a style isolation boundary [1].

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2253110/managing-css-explosion

- R. Niwa