Re: Shadow tree style isolation primitive

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:42:46 -0800
Cc: Chaals from Yandex <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com <mailto:rniwa@apple.com>> wrote:
> [snip]
> I agree that having both style isolation and subtree isolation is desirable in some use cases such as Web app widgets.  However, there are other use cases for which style isolation without subtree isolation is desirable in non-App Web documents.
>
> - R. Niwa
>
> Can you share such a case? If you're worried about CSS selectors 'bleeding through' how do functional selectors not have precisely the same concerns?  I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying that I am having trouble envisioning it and would like some more information.  It does seem to me that both sorts of isolation naturally 'fall out' of simply having a connector of trees that isn't using parent/child pointers and that most things would "just work" and be easy to explain (as a thing on its own and to use to build up higher features) which is an aspect I am having trouble seeing in nearly all other proposals.  Once again, I'm not saying it's not there, I'm just asking for someone to explain/show me.

Sure, here are some use cases I can think off the top of my head:
Styling a navigation bar which is implemented as a list of hyperlinks
Styling an article in a blog
Styling the comment section in a blog article
Styling a code snippet in a blog article
None of these scenarios require authors to write scripts.

- R. Niwa