RE: Custom element design with ES6 classes and Element constructors

From: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:59:14 +0000
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
From: Ryosuke Niwa [mailto:rniwa@apple.com]

> As we have repeatedly stated elsewhere in the mailing list, we support option 1 since authors and frameworks can trivially implement 2 or choose to set "prototype" without us baking the feature into the platform.

At first I was sympathetic toward option 1, but then I realized that with ES6 modules all script loading becomes async, so it would be literally impossible to use custom elements in a .html file (unless your strategy was to wait for element registration, XHR the .html file into a string, then do `document.documentElement.innerHTML = theBigString`).

In other words, in an ES6 modules world, all custom elements are upgraded elements.