Re: ES6 and upgrading custom elements

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 12:09:11 +0100
To: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Cc: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me> wrote:
> ... all instances of MyInputElement will get all internal slots and other exotic behavior of HTMLInputElement.

That's why I tried to scope this thread to upgrading and not the script side.

The main question is how you tie MyInputElement to something like
<my-input> and have that actually work. It seems Dimitri's answer is
that you don't, you use <input is=my-input> in combination with a
(delayed) prototype mutation and creation callback. And you use
createElement("input", "my-input") or the constructor on the script
side of things.

> Which is that the HTML standard should just define that `HTMLInputElement.extends = "input"`.

We could have that I guess, but it still doesn't help with upgrading, does it?