Re: Custom Elements: is=""

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 01:41:27 +0100
To: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>, lwatson@paciellogroup.com
CC: Tobie Langel <tobie@codespeaks.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 13/06/2015 16:33, Bruce Lawson wrote:
> On 13 June 2015 at 15:30, LĂ©onie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com> wrote:
>> why not use the extends= syntax you mentioned?
>>
>> <my-button extends="button" attributes>Push</my-button>
>
> because browsers that don't know about web components wouldn't pay any
> attention to <my-button>, and render "Push" as plain text.
>
>   Browsers that don't know about web components will fall back to
> <button> with <button
> this-is-made-much-more-marvellous-by="my-button"> (or whatever)

However, this fallback will only really be useful for very simple cases,
where web components have been used to jazz up what essentially is still
the element that was extended. And, I would posit, any scripting that
was done to act on the all-singing, all-dancing new web component button
(if it does anything more than a regular button) would not work for the
fallback. Unless it's really just using web components for fancy styling
(for instance having a "material design" button that essentially still
works just like a button) - in which case, it makes more sense to work
on stylability of standard elements.

Patrick H. Lauke