RE: Custom Elements: is=""

From: Léonie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:30:19 +0100
To: "'Tobie Langel'" <tobie@codespeaks.com>, <public-webapps@w3.org>
From: Tobie Langel [mailto:tobie@codespeaks.com]
Sent: 12 June 2015 21:26

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015, at 19:41, Léonie Watson wrote:
> Is there a succinct explanation of why the is= syntax is disliked? The
> info on the WHATWG wiki explains where is= breaks, but doesn’t offer
> much on the syntax issue [1].

[...]

So in summary it's ugly, has a high cognitive load, doesn't express the developers intent (actually even expresses the opposite), is hard to spot when reading code, and is error prone.

Hope this helps. :)

It does, thank you.

At the risk of asking the obvious question, why not use the extends= syntax you mentioned?

<my-button extends="button" attributes>Push</my-button>

It follows the expected X extends Y convention, and makes it reasonably clear what the attributes have been applied to I think.

Léonie.