Re: Custom Elements: is=""

From: Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 08:56:37 -0700
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, LĂ©onie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>
On Jun 9, 2015 8:45 AM, "Dimitri Glazkov" <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

>> > - v1 sets the stage for people to develop habits and expectations
about how
>> > custom elements work. New features tend to be slowly adopted, by both
>> > browser vendors and (partly as a consequence) developers, so even if
we do
>> > come up with something for v2, it will be even longer before it becomes
>> > mainstream (and as I mentioned earlier we will still be stuck with code
>> > written to v1 for much longer again).
>>
>> I don't see how it will be longer. is="" is not getting acceptance
>> as-is. So all this would result in is not getting custom elements
>> across browsers until v2 is done.
>

> I sort of assumes that the reason for this discussion is to get everyone
on the same page regarding type extension and hope to arrive at better
acceptance.

> Arguing that something isn't getting acceptance when the purpose of
discussion is attempting to gain the said acceptance seems a bit circular.

> Other than that, please do continue this conversation! :)

I'll also note that a large fraction of Polymer elements and Polymer using
pages, thus a large fraction of existing custom elements and use, uses is=,
via <template is="dom-repeat / dom-if / dom-bind"> and <style
is="custom-style">. So as far as current custom elements are concerned, is=
is accepted.