Re: [ime-api] [blink-dev] Removing IME API code from Blink

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 19:00:02 -0700
Cc: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>

> On May 27, 2015, at 11:46 AM, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I believed the use-cases for avoiding UI clashes between site-driven auto-complete lists and IME auto-complete boxes is still a valid use case, and I think the spec is still valid to try to push to recommendation. However, I'd also like to follow up on usage of the ms- prefixed API so that I can get an idea of what its real usage is.

I agree avoiding UI clashes between auto-completions of IME and web page is a great use case but I'm not convinced that exposing ClientRect for IME is the right API as many Web developers aren't even aware of UI challenges IME imposes. For example, a similar UI challenge emerges when dealing with auto-corrections in grammar/spell checking features as well.  It would be ideal if IME and spell/grammar corrections are handled in a similar manner so that Web apps supporting either feature will "just work" with both features.

- R. Niwa