Re: [webcomponents] How about let's go with slots?

From: Hayato Ito <hayato@chromium.org>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 03:18:30 +0000
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Cc: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>, "esprehn@chromium.org" <esprehn@chromium.org>, "philip@philipwalton.com" <philip@philipwalton.com>, "dfreedm@google.com" <dfreedm@google.com>, "sjmiles@google.com" <sjmiles@google.com>, "rniwa@apple.com" <rniwa@apple.com>, "eoconnor@apple.com" <eoconnor@apple.com>, "annevk@annevk.nl" <annevk@annevk.nl>, "travis.leithead@microsoft.com" <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, "mjs@apple.com" <mjs@apple.com>, "arronei@microsoft.com" <arronei@microsoft.com>, "slightlyoff@google.com" <slightlyoff@google.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:06 PM Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Hayato Ito <hayato@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> My preference in v1:
>>
>> 1. select (strongly preferred). okay to rename it if we have a better
>> name. e.g. <content select=xxx> ==>  <slot select=xxx>
>> 2. select + content-slot
>> 3. content-slot
>>
>> I was assuming that "content-slot" is one of required parts in the
>> "Multiple Templates" proposal and "Imperative APIs".
>> Both, "Multiple Templates" and "Imperative APIs" are deferred to v2.
>> There is still no convincing proposal about how these are interacted in the
>> future.
>>

> Those were never conjoined that much. Slots and multiple templates are
> part of the same proposal, but they are largely independent pieces. As for
> slots being a prerequisite for imperative APIs, I only remember it being
> mentioned in the sense that any flavor of declarative API should be
> implementable by the imperative API.
>

>> I'd like to see a concrete proposal which explains all together in v2.
>> For v1, I don't see any strong reason to replace the current select.
>>

> Is the situation where no other vendors are willing to implement the
> current select not a strong reason?

Agreed.

> I am not fan of bedding something which is unclear.
>>
>> Could someone summarize the pros and cons of content-slot, compared to
>> select?
>> For me, cons are much bigger than pros in v1. I don't want to miss
>> anything.
>>

> That's a good request. I'll work on the comparison, including Domenic's
> request to outline the constant-timeliness.

Thank you! I'm afraid that we don't have enough discussion about the pros
and cons between "select nodes using a selector" and "select nodes by a
fixed id using attribute".

I'd like to make sure that everyone understand the pros and cons for both
as a separated topic from "Imperative APIs and Multiple Templates" so that
we can do the best judgement.