Re: [webcomponents] How about let's go with slots?

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 20:06:27 -0700
To: Hayato Ito <hayato@chromium.org>
Cc: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>, "esprehn@chromium.org" <esprehn@chromium.org>, "philip@philipwalton.com" <philip@philipwalton.com>, "dfreedm@google.com" <dfreedm@google.com>, "sjmiles@google.com" <sjmiles@google.com>, "rniwa@apple.com" <rniwa@apple.com>, "eoconnor@apple.com" <eoconnor@apple.com>, "annevk@annevk.nl" <annevk@annevk.nl>, "travis.leithead@microsoft.com" <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, "mjs@apple.com" <mjs@apple.com>, "arronei@microsoft.com" <arronei@microsoft.com>, "slightlyoff@google.com" <slightlyoff@google.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Hayato Ito <hayato@chromium.org> wrote:

> My preference in v1:
>
> 1. select (strongly preferred). okay to rename it if we have a better
> name. e.g. <content select=xxx> ==>  <slot select=xxx>
> 2. select + content-slot
> 3. content-slot
>
> I was assuming that "content-slot" is one of required parts in the
> "Multiple Templates" proposal and "Imperative APIs".
> Both, "Multiple Templates" and "Imperative APIs" are deferred to v2. There
> is still no convincing proposal about how these are interacted in the
> future.

Those were never conjoined that much. Slots and multiple templates are part
of the same proposal, but they are largely independent pieces. As for slots
being a prerequisite for imperative APIs, I only remember it being
mentioned in the sense that any flavor of declarative API should be
implementable by the imperative API.

> I'd like to see a concrete proposal which explains all together in v2. For
> v1, I don't see any strong reason to replace the current select.

Is the situation where no other vendors are willing to implement the
current select not a strong reason?

> I am not fan of bedding something which is unclear.
>
> Could someone summarize the pros and cons of content-slot, compared to
> select?
> For me, cons are much bigger than pros in v1. I don't want to miss
> anything.

That's a good request. I'll work on the comparison, including Domenic's
request to outline the constant-timeliness.

:DG<