Re: [webcomponents] How about let's go with slots?

From: Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:14 -0700
To: Philip Walton <philip@philipwalton.com>
Cc: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, Scott Miles <sjmiles@google.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Arron Eicholz <arronei@microsoft.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Philip Walton <philip@philipwalton.com>
wrote:

> Pardon my question if this has been discussed elsewhere, but it's not
> clear from my reading of the "slots" proposal whether they would be allowed
> to target elements that are not direct children of the component.
>
> I believe the with the `select` attribute this was implicitly required
> because only compound selectors were supported (i.e. no child or descendent
> combinators) [1].

I think the actually issue is that you might have fights over who gets to
redistribute an element. Given

<my-el-1>
  <my-el-2>
  </my-el-2>
</my-el-1>

If both my-el-1 and my-el-2 have "foo" slots, who wins? What if the winner
by whatever rules adds a clashing slot name in a future update?

I mentioned in this in Imperative API thread, but I think the least
surprising way forward for distributing non-children is to allow nodes to
cooperate on distribution, so a element could send its distributed nodes to
an ancestor:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2015AprJun/0325.html